Sunday, July 18, 2010

Interim mini-project


It's been a quiet week here in Rwanda. All the data from our study is now at the Ministry of Health awaiting data entry. We're trying to hurry that process along - after all, that's what I'm here for (well, sort of) but these things can be a little political. So instead we found another mini-project for me to do this week. I went out into the field to look at what has been happening in some of the nutrition programs. These programs try to screen for children under 5 who are moderately or severely malnourished so that they can get extra help at the health centre (including extra food supplements for the children and nutritional counselling for the mothers).
(The one on the left isn't a mother, she'd just a neighbor girl who's helping out)

Other highlights:
- sleeping in the guesthouse at Ngoma and discovering that the rooster lived right behind my room. (Why, Why, Why is 3 am an appropriate time to start crowing?!)
- Being told by the entire medical staff (ten of them) of Kibungo hospital (all Chinese expats speaking difficult english, all male, all shorter than I) that I was beautiful and should stay and have drinks with them in the guesthouse restaurant - I gracefully declined (but it made up for the "healthy" comment from last week)
- visiting the Rwanda Genocide Memorial Centre. This was enlightening but emotionally draining as you might imagine.

More next week (and hopefully more pictures, I've tried to load more twice but all it does is suck up my precious megabytes and not post anything!!)

2 comments:

Alita Salmon said...

You spelt "nieghbour" wrong you american!
Love, Alita

PS I love the updates, I wish I was there with you! I know how you feel, try being proposed to by six grade seveners all two heads shorter you.

Anners said...

Jo! I did not know that you were in Africa - how exciting! Lainey and I were just talking about you today and in fact I dropped you an email. All I have is the U of A one - is that still valid? If not, drop me one at laziestninja. I'm still using gmail. I miss you! But man, I'm so excited for what you're doing, and a little envious of how you're changing the world for the better. I almost wish I was smart enough to be a doctor!

cheers,

Lee